Friday, June 15, 2007

Video Killed the Radio Star

A couple of days off and with no plans other than a few administrative tasks to complete, I spent some time surfing t'internet and reading the paper and finding lots of new ways to piss away time.

First off is another Boards of Canada track on another car advert. This time Mercedes are following in the footsteps of Nissan and BMW who have both had ads directed by Chris Cunningham featuring BOC. The Merc ad is just as effects led (don't know who has directed), the car changing into different forms as it bombs along a winding road. Its not as good as the other ads though (IMHO) and the Merc looks decidedly 80's to me, a bit like one of them taxis in Tenerife with a body kit on it. Car manufacturers obviously like their music technically accomplished, stylish, with a human touch, just the way a quality motor should be marketed.

Can't find the Merc ad on the net yet, but there are loads of BOC fan vids on there, some of which are good, some of which I think miss the point completely. This is my fave below - animated short for Poppy Seed (BOC remix) by Slag Boom Van Loon.




Adam Buxton has a great take on a Nissan car ad on his site:



And to finish on a musical note, I'm off to the Wireless do tomorrow in Hyde Park, London town. There I shall be observing some of the newest and latest dance music acts - including LCD Soundsystem which is the real draw for me. Below is a vid from them. Later in the week I'm seeing The Stooges at the newly refurb'd Festival Hall, much to report on so I'll try to update again soon.

No comments: